Welcome to IAS Preparation Section. Here you will find How to Prepare for IAS 2014, Preparation Tips & and Online Sample Papers.
IAS Exam comprises of two successive stages:
* Preliminary Examination: It is of objective type, which is a qualifying examination.
* Main Examination: It consists of written examination and interview.
The Preliminary Examination consists of two papers of objective type (multiple-choice questions) carrying a maximum of 400 marks.
General Studies Paper - I:- 200 Marks
General Studies Paper - II:- 200 Marks
Main Examination It Consists of the following papers:-
Paper-I One of the Indian Languages to be selected by the candidate from the 18 languages included in the VIIIth Schedule to the Constitution (Qualifying Paper) - 300 Marks
Paper-II English (Qualifying Paper) - 300 Marks
Paper-III Essay - 200 Marks
Papers IV & V General Studies (300 Marks for each paper) - 600 Marks
Papers VI, VII, VIII & IX
Any two subjects (each having 2 papers) to be selected from the prescribed optional subjects (300 marks for each paper) - 1200 Marks
Total Marks for Written Examination - 2000 Marks
Interview Test - 300 Marks
Grand Total - 2300 Marks
Optional Papers: Agriculture, Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science, Botany, Chemistry, Civil Engineering, Commerce, Economics, Electrical Engineering, Geography, Geology, Indian History, Law, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Medical Science, Philosophy, Physics, Political Science, Psychology, Public Administration, Sociology, Statistics, Zoology. The following combinations not allowed are:
* Political Science & International Relations and Public Administration
* Commerce and Management
* Anthropology and Sociology
* Maths and Statistics
* Agriculture and Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science
* Management and Public Administration
* Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science and Medical Science
* Any two branches of engineering.
The final stage of selection is the interview which is conducted in April/May every year. Candidate will be asked questions on matters of general interest. The object is to assess the personal suitability and judge the mental caliber of the candidate. The candidate must exhibit an intelligent interest in events happening around him so that he appears to be a complete personality.
There is also a medical test, especially rigid for IPS. Out of the final candidates selected top rankers are appointed as IAS officers.
Once appointed, all probationary officers of the All India and Central Services undergo a compulsory foundation training.
Welcome to IAS Preparation Tips Section. Here you will find Useful Tips & Tricks to crack IAS 2014 Exam.
IAS Preparation Tips & Tricks:-
Self Motivation:- The candidates who have been preparing for the IAS competitive exams should be motivating themselves often. The IAS competitors must have deep knowledge. They must be clear with the techniques they have known and should be an expert in the time management too. The self motivated people are the people who have interest in knowing the new things and capable of spending their time in knowing the unknown things.
Persistence:- Persistence is trying the target without any back steps in simple words, cyclic attempts. Sometimes when we are studying, some hurdles may come in the form of distressed mind, annoyed circumstances and the family problems too. These hurdles will happen in the unexpected situations too.
Commitment:- If you ask some of the civil service competitors, they will tell that they are said by their parents to become a collector or any civil service officers. Those candidates may not win in the race. The candidates who are contributing with their own interest only will have enough commitment to win in the race to get the IAS rank.
Communication skills:- Communication skill is telling the things clear and listenable to the listeners. A man is known as the expert with excellent communication skill if he has the skill of telling the things they want to express to the listeners even if he uses his native language or in English.
Honesty:- When the IAS officers are ought to take the solid decisions for several situations to get the people to live comfortably, it is most needed that the decisions should be honest decisions. Taking the honest decisions will be sensible too.
Self Confidence:- This factor would be familiar with most probably all of us. Getting the top ranks in the IAS exam has been considered as climbing on the Himalaya Mountains in our society. If someone made that you are trying to become an IAS officer, then the words you hear will be, "you can't get the job in the first attempt for sure, IAS exams are for the genius people and not for you, Only the CBSE students can get the IAS jobs" etc., But, the fact is, any one tries for the IAS job with persistence, consistent attempts and clear minded studies will get the job even in his first attempt. There are living examples for this sentence.
Welcome to IAS Preparation Books Section. Here you will find IAS Exam 2014 Preparation Books, Best IAS Exam Reference and Recommended Books.
Recommended Books for IAS Interview Books:-
Recommended Books for IAS Geography:-
Paper - I
Paper - II
PAPER - II : GEOGRAPHY OF INDIA
SECTION -B : HUMAN GEOGRAPHY:
1 Perspectives in Human Geography :
Evolution of Geographic Thought by Majid Husain 2 Economic Geography :
Economic Geography by Hertshorn & Alexander
Economic and Social Geography - Made Simple by Rupa Publisher
Agricultural Geography by Masjid Husain
3 Population Settlement Geography :
Human Geography by Majid Husain
Urbanization & Urban Systems in India by Ramachandran
Economic and Social Geography - Made Simple, Rupa Publishers
A Geography by Population by R.C. Chandna 4 Regional Planning:
Regional Planning - by Chand & Puri
5 Environmental Geography:
Environmental Geography by Savindra Singh
Environmental Awareness by R.C.Chandna
Environmental Geography by Saxena 6 Models, Theories and Laws in Human Geography :
Economic and Social Geography - Made Simple, Rupa Publisher
Political Geography by R.D.Dixit MAP QUESTIONS - Any School level atlas and the maps given in the above mentioned books.
S.No. Name Author / Publisher
1 An Introduction to the Constitution of India D.D.Basu
2 Our Contitution Subash Kashyap
3 Perspectives on Indian Constitution Edited by Subash Kashyap
4 Biology for VIII-X Std NCERT
5 Physics for VIII-X Std NCERT
6 Chemistry for VIII-X Std NCERT
7 Anatomy & Physiology for Nurses Courses Evelyn Pearce
8 Know your body Reader's Digest
9 An Evolution of Indian Economy I.C.Dhingra (Sultan Chand & Co)
10 Indian Economy Dutt & Sundaram
11 Economic Survey of India Government of India
12 General Principles of World Geography Charles Farro
13 Monsoon Asia Charles Farro
14 Physical Geography of India for X - XII Std NCERT
15 Any Good School Atlas
16 Ancient India for XII Std NCERT
17 Medieval India for XII Std NCERT
18 Modern India Bipin Chandra
19 History of Modern India A.C.Banerjee
20 The Hindu & Times of India Newspapers
21 Frontline & Political & Economic weekly Periodicals
22 Yojana & World Focus Periodicals
23 Statistical Methods S.C.Gupta
Pratiyogita Darpan Extra English Series for General studies ( Good one )
Recommended Books for IAS History
BOOKS ON ANCIENT INDIA :
1. Wonder that was India - A.L. Bhashem.
2. Ancient India Social and Culture - Luniya
3. Ancient India - an introductory outline - D.N.Jha.
4. An Advanced History of India - R.C. Majumda, H.C. Raychaudhurai, - Kalikinkar Datta
5. Ancient India - L.Mukherjee
BOOKS ON MEDIVAL INDIA
1. Advanced study in the History of Medival India - Volume I, II, III J.L. Mehta
2. Medival India - Volume I & II Satish Chandra
3. Wonder that was India - Rizzvi
4. Medival India - L. Mukherjee
BOOKS ON MODERN INDIA
1. Modern Indian History - Groover & Grooover.
2. A struggle for Independence - Bipin Chandra
3. Freedom Struggle - Bipinchandra
4. Modern India - L. Mukherjee
VIII, IX, X,XI,XII History
HISTORY BOOKS GUIDE
1. Indian History - Krishna Reddy
2. Indian History - Agnihotri
3. Competition Wizard Workbook.
4. IGNOU Material
REFERENCE BOOKS OVERALL :
BOOKS ON ANCIENT INDIA
* NCERT (11th)
* The Advanced History of India - Majumdar, Raychaudhuri & Datta
* The wonder that was India - A. L Bashaon
* Indus Civilization - (a) IGNOU booklet no. 2
* The rise of civilization of India and Pakistan - Bridget and Raymond Allchin
* Ancient India in historical outline (Revised and enlarged edition - 98) - D.N. Jha
* Mauryan : Ashoka and the decline of mouryan empire - Romila Thapar
* Indian Feudalism - R.S. Sharma
BOOKS ON MEDIEVAL INDIA
* NCERT (11th)
* The Advanced History of India - Majumdar, Raychaudhuri & Datta
* Social life and cultural life of both Delhi Sultanate and Mughal India - J.L. Mehta
* A history of South India - K. A. Nilakanta Shastri
* IGNOU material (specially on agriculture and agrarian relations and culture)
BOOKS ON MODERN INDIA
* NCERT (12th)
* A new look into the modern Indian history - B.L Grover
* Freedom struggle - Bipin Chandra, Varun Dey and Amlesh Tripathy (NBT)
* India's struggle for independence - Bipin Chandra
* Modern India - Sumit Sarkar
* IGNOU material (specially on freedom struggle)
Recommended Books for IAS General Studies:-
1. Indian History - India Struggle for Independence by Bipin Chandra; NCERT Books ( XI & XII )
2. Geography - Spectrum
3. Indian Polity - Constitution of India by Bakshi
4. Indian Economy - Plus One, Plus Two Books, Pratiyogita Darpan
5. General Science - Tata Mc Graw Hill Guide
6. Mental Ability - Quantitative Apitude by R.S. Aggarwal
7. Current Affairs - Some magazines and Newspapers
i. The Hindu/The Times of India
iii. Civil Service Chronicle
v. Competition WIZARD
vi. Civil Services Today
1. Tata Mc Graw Hill
Topic Wise Reference On General Studies
Books on Indian History & Culture:
NCERT (+ 2 level) — Ancient India, Medieval India, Modern India.
Publication Division : Gazetteer of India (Vol 2 : History & Culture)
Gandhi Nehru Tagore & Ambedkar — Gopal Krishna
Bipin Chandra - Modern India
A.C.Banerjee - History of Modern India Raghavan Aiyer — Mahatma Gandhi
Books on Geography:
NCERT : Physical Geography of India for X - XII Std
A Good School Atlas
Sharma & Cotinho : Economic and Commercial Geography of India.
Khullar : India- A Comprehnsive Geography
Charles Farro : General Principles of World Geography
Charles Farro : Monsoon Asia Reports published by Centre for Science and Enviornment And Tata Energy Research Institute
National journal - Kurukshetra, Yojana etc.
Down to earth
Books on Indian Economy:
NCERT (+1 level)—Evolution of Indian Economy(I C Dhingra).
Mishra & Puri or Dutt & Sundaram - Indian Economy
The Economic Times,Business Standard
Books on Social and National Issues :
Social Problem - Ram Ahuja
Social Welfare Magazine - Published by ministry of social welfare
Books on Indian Polity:
NCERT (+1 level)—Indian Political System
N.L. Madan : Bhartiya Rajya Vyavastha
D.D. Basu—Indian Constitution
Kashyap—Constitution of India
Publication Division—Subhash C. Kashyap : Our Parliament
P.M. Bakshi—Indian Constitution
Our Constitution : Subhash C. kashyap
Perspective on Constitution : S.C. Kashyap
Books on Science & Technology:
NCERT : (10 level) : Science, (+2 level) : Biology.
Popular Science Series (CSIR)
Reports Of the Ministry of Science and Technology Yojana
Science and Technology in India - Spectrum
Books on Statistics:
(NCERT +1 level) Elementary Statistics
S.C.Gupta : Statistical Methods
Books on India and the World :
Journal of peace Studies
South Asian Journal
Other Books for General Studies:
1. India Year Book latest
2. One competitive Magazine
3. Guides like Tata Mc Graw Hill, Spectrum or Unique For General Reference 4. The Pearson General Studies Manual
Verification Code comes here
Next Vote : Vote for Your Prime Minister
Connect and win. Your College and University photos and videos can win you exciting prizes.
Upload photos and videos of your college or university and win exiciting prizes.