The Armed Forces Medical College was formed at Pune on 01 May 1948 by the amalgamation of Army Medical Training Centre, the Army School of Hygiene, the Central Military Pathology Laboratory, the School of Blood Transfusion and Army School of Radiology. The college was initially housed in Eve’s Estate and later shifted to Connaught Barracks, the present location.
The College is a premier medical institute of India acknowledged as a centre of excellence for education and research. The college provides training to under-graduate and post-graduate medical and nursing students with assured career prospects in the defence services. 2 to provide a sustainable and steady intake of medical officers for the Indian Armed Forces. The institute is presently affiliated to the Maharashtra University of Health Sciences and is recognized by the MCI for conducting undergraduate and various post graduate medical courses.
The institution is responsible for providing the entire pool of specialists and super specialists to Armed Forces by giving them in service training. The college is also involved in conducting research in various medical subjects as well as those aspects which would affect the morale and performance of the Armed Forces both in war and peace.