The Law Department also obtained a raised stature accordingly. Hon'ble Justice D. Straight was appointed the first president of Law Department in 1890. By an order in Council of the Governor of United Provinces, the Department of Legal Studies became a separate single Department Faculty of the University along with the Faculties of Arts, Science and Commerce in the Muir College campus of the University. Under the Indian Universities Act of 1904, the posts of Professor, Reader and Lecturer were recognised for the University. However, till 1921 the Law Department functioned with advocates as part-time teachers holding all the three cadres.
Law Campus: The Law Department functioned in Muir College from 1872 onwards till the new building for Law Faculty of immense architectural beauty was constructed around 1910, adjacent to Senate House on the northern side by the donations provided by the Oudh Bar Association. However this building (now being used by Department of English Studies) did not possess suitable and sufficient accommodation for the fast expanding Law Library and for holding of tutorials in LL.B. Classes which was made compulsory by the Bar Council of India. The Law Department was shifted to the new building which was constructed by UGC grants in the Chatham Lines campus of which Hon'ble Mr. A.K. Sen, the then Law Minister of India, had laid the foundation stone in 1965. The transfer of Law Department to the new building was completed in early 1980s. Till 1955 when principle of rotation for the Dean among Professors was introduced, the Head of Law Department was also the Dean of the Law Faculty.