The Himalayan Institute Hospital Trust (HIHT) the sponsoring society for HIHT University was founded by a great yogi, scientist, philosopher, philanthropist, researcher and writer, H.H. Dr. Swami Rama. The University is situated in the lush green valley of Dehradun in Uttarakhand on the Rishikesh-Dehradun highway adjacent to the Dehradun airport at Jolly Grant. HIHT University offers both undergraduate and post graduate courses.
Opened in 1994 with 250 beds, the institute is currently the Only Post Graduate Medical Institute in Uttarakhand. A 750 bed multi-specialty tertiary care hospital is attached to the University for the teaching and training purposes of the student of the University.
The Medical College (Himalayan Institute of Medical Sciences) was established in 1995. The medical college is recognized by the Medical Council of India (MCI). The facilities and faculty is as per the norms of the Medical Council of India. The faculty is experienced and proficient as teachers, clinicians and administrators. To support a "learning-oriented environment" as opposed to a "teacher-oriented environment", at the end of each term, the students evaluate teachers and select the faculty for the Best Teacher Award.
The Medical Institute has been awarded the status of a Deemed University by the Govt. of India vide notification number F.9-43/2006-U.3 (A) dated 6th June 2007 under section 3 of University Grants Commission Act 1956.Subsequently the name of the Deemed University was changed from Swami Rama Vidyapeeth to HIHT University by the Government of India vide notification even no dated 4th March 2008.
The University is providing a unique model of education for the country by incorporating a spiritual basis of life in relation to health and modern technology and training students in various fields.
The Medical Institute has been awarded the status of a Deemed University by the Govt. of India vide Notification Number F.9-43/2006-U.3 (A) dated 6th June 2007 under Section 3 of University Grants Commission Act 1956.Subsequently the name of the Deemed University was changed from Swami Rama Vidyapeeth to HIHT University
• The institute's campus is located in a calm and peaceful environment. The place describes what real India is, because people from every part of the country stay and work there together. The campus is gigantic and it provides residents for more than one thousand students, faculty and staff.
• A number of hostels are continuously building for the resident of increasing people at this place. Resident for staff and faculty members are provided within the campus with 24 hours security and internet facilities through Wi-Fi.
• Apart from the hostels and residents, the institute also offers well furnished lounge and guest house for visitors. It offers delicious home cooked food at reasonable prices.
• The main motto of the institute is to catch the attraction of the visitors and it had done it so well with its brilliantly designed parks and greenish grounds for the students to play. These grounds are mostly used for sports activities like Basketball, Tennis Football, and Cricket. Students are also encouraged in the Gymnasium activities for maintaining their health.
• 24 hours SBI ATM service facility is provided.
• Transportation facility is provided to the students as well as faculty members who have a regular up-down from Rishikesh, Haridwar and Dehradun. Bus facility is offered at free of cost in this daily travelling.
HIHT University Admissions
Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
The institute has a simple admission procedure for this course. The university conducts All India level Pre Medical Entrance Examination (PMEE) in the month of May. A merit list is prepared based on this examination and then tha candidates are called up for councelling in the month of June/ July. The academic session starts in the month of August.
Age:- A candidate who has completed at least 17 years of age as of 31st December of the year of admission is eligible.
Eligibility:- Candidate must have passed 10+2 ISC/ Intermediate examinations or it's equivalent, after a period of 12 years of study, the last two years of such study, comprising of Physics, Chemistry and Biology and English from a recognized board/ university and the candidate must have passed in all the subjects.
Syllabus:- The syllabus for the Pre Medical Entrance Examination will be as per the 10 + 2 examination (CBSE/ ICSE/ ISC/ Uttarakhand Board or their equivalent). The question paper will be in English language only.
HIHT University Placements
Placement details are provided on the official website.
HIHT University Campus Photos
Institute Location on Map