Indian Institute of Technology - Roorkee is among the foremost of institutes of national importance in higher technological education and in engineering, basic and applied research. Since its establishment, the Institute has played a vital role in providing the technical manpower and know-how to the country and in pursuit of research. The Institute ranks amongst the best technological institutions in the world and has contributed to all sectors of technological development. It has also been considered a trend-setter in the area of education and research in the field of science, technology, and engineering.
IIT Roorkee has completed 150th year of its existence in October 1996. On September 21, 2001, an Ordinance issued by the Government of India declared it as the nation's seventh Indian Institute of Technology. The Ordinance is now converted into an Act by the Parliament to make IIT, Roorkee as an "Institution of National Importance".
The Institute offers Bachelor's Degree courses in 10 disciplines of Engineering and Architecture and Postgraduate's Degree in 55 disciplines of Engineering, Applied Science, Architecture and planning. The Institute has facility for doctoral work in all Departments and Research Centres.
IIT Roorkee admits students to B.Tech. and B.Arch. courses through the Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) conducted at various centres all over India.
NIRF Ranking 2017 -
Engineering - 06
Overall - 09
• The college is located in cool and peaceful environment in the lap of nature. The college has aesthetically designed in such a way that it makes every student to learn without any compulsion.
• The campus has two centralized banks and ATMs for the convenience of the students. It has Punjab National Bank and State Bank of India. The post office is well equipped and caters to the needs of the students and the faculty, as well as the non-residents of the campus.
• The Institute Hospital has a very modest beginning and was started in the form of a dispensary for students and staff-community. Later it moved on improving and today it is a 60 bed hospital for the students as well as staff whenever needed.
• IIT Roorkee offers accommodation facility to both boys and girls with all the modern facilities within the campus. It is a great experience living on the campus and learning.
• It also encourages outdoor games like Badminton, Athletics, Rowing, Tennis, Swimming, Hockey, etc.
• The institute has various social groups for the students. Students of the institute participate in different groups as per their choice. The groups formed in the institute are NSS, NCC, Cultural Council, Technical Societies, etc.
IIT Roorkee - Indian Institute of Technology Admissions
The admission to the B.Tech courses are done through Joint Entrance Exam (JEE) and the candidate must have passed 10+2 from any discipline from any recognized university.
Admission to Postgraduate programmes leading to M.Tech. /M.Arch. /M.U.R.P. degree will be open to the candidates qualified in GATE on the basis of either valid Normalized GATE marks followed by Personal Interview and a Written Test.
IIT Roorkee - Indian Institute of Technology Placements
It provides the facility of a highly pro-active placement cell to guide and extends assistance and support to students for getting excellent placement in leading companies and industries like
• Airbus Engineering Centre India
• Bank of India
• Century Link India
• Cognizant Technology Solutions
• Barclays Capital
• Larsen & Toubro Ltd.
• Nestle India Ltd.
• NTPC Ltd.
• Samsung Engineering India Pvt. Ltd.
IIT Roorkee - Indian Institute of Technology Campus Photos
IIT Roorkee - Indian Institute of Technology News
Institute Location on Map