The Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition, Mumbai, the first of its kind in South East Asia was founded in the year 1954 by the All India Women’s Central Food Council under the leadership of Late Smt. Lilavati Munshi.
Late Smt. Lilavati Munshi with a band of courageous women which included Smt. Homi J H Taleyarkhan and Smt. Leela N Jog under the name of All India Women’s Central Food Council established a chain of Annapoornas (restaurants) throughout the country, but primarily in the metropolitan cities to prepare and sell economic but nutritionally sound snacks and foods.
The purpose was to improve the nutritional status of the average from a high cereal diet to a more balanced diet. The critical factor however was to find trained personnel to run these Annapoornas on a self-financing basis. Hence the birth of the training Institute - IHM Mumbai.
Hotel Management and Catering Technology was still a young discipline in those days even in the West, in fact, the school of Hotel Administration of Cornell University bifurcated from the Department of Home Economics as a separate faculty only in 1954.
The Late Shri P C Rajpal deputed from Tea Board of India, after undergoing a study tour of Europe and U.K. under the sponsorship of FAO was the first Principal of the Institute.
Later at the request of Smt. Lilavati Munshi through the Ministry of Food and Agriculture, Department of food, the Late. Mr. Belfield Smith of U.K.,one of the founder members of Hotel Catering and Institutional Management Association, U.K. was assigned as an expert to India by Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations. In March 1956, Mr. C. Belfield Smith took over as the Principal of the Institute. Since then there has been no looking back.
The institute has an awesome campus situated on Swatantrya Veer Savarkar Marg almost 1.5 km from Dadar railway station. Campus is designed like a hotel by which the students get a feel of practicing in a hotel. The campus offers all the required facilities such as:-
• Bakery facilities for each year of hotel management course as well as the food production course.
• Training restaurant is provided for practicing food and beverage skills.
• Housekeeping laboratory is offered with all laundry equipments.
• Front office laboratory includes a mock front desk and bell desk which help students to replicate front office atmosphere.
• Lobby is enabled with internet facility round the clock.
• Library with all the latest updated books related to hotel management are provided.
• Three time food facility is offered in a day to all the students, this food is made by second year students in groups. This benefits the students to have various varieties everyday. This preparing of food helps the students to improve their practical knowledge.
• Locker rooms facility is provided to each and every student of Mumbai.
• Along with the top class hotel management studies students are also provided with sports facilities so that they can show their talent even in sports.
• Hostel facilities are offered with a reasonable price, hostels are enclosed with colleges so that the students don't have to travel for the college. Each and every room has an awesome view of Bandra-Worli Sea link and the Mumbai skyline - Bandstand.
• Recently build up auditorium with seating capacity of 210 students at a time.
• Canteen is provided on the second floor and it offers some tasty and fresh food at reasonable prices.
• Keeping in mind about the student’s health, institute has offered gym facilities with all latest equipments and a trainer to guide them. Gym timing is between 6.30 am to 8.00 pm.
Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition (IHMCTAN) Admissions
Admission details will be added soon.
Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition (IHMCTAN) Faculty
Mr. Raj Kumar Saxena
Designation - Principal
Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition (IHMCTAN) Placements
Placement details will be added soon.
Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition (IHMCTAN) Campus Photos
Institute Location on Map