The Kamla Raheja Vidyanidhi Institute for Architecture (KRVIA) and Environmental Studies was established in 1992 by Upanagar Shikshan Mandal with a grant from Kamla Raheja Foundation. A group of educationist, professionals and artists became involved in envisioning a new direction for this school.
In the formulating of this agenda one of the processes involved was a review of conventionally existing modes of architectural education, research and practice. One of the prime questions that was raised involved the conventional role of the architect as a mere provider of services according to the market laws of the demand and supply; or as technicians providing sound, building solutions. The attempt right from the very inception of the school was to open up architecture towards other disciplines that constitute the expanded field of cultural studies. This became a primary concern of the formulators of the agenda that the school was to follow. Thus the role of the institute became determined by its attempt to create the appropriate academic environment for such an endeavour.
The KRVIA since its inception has been deeply involved in issues concerning the city. Its location within this bustling metropolis has given it the advantage of becoming a laboratory of sorts that engages and interacts with the city as it changes. Through its varied research and consultancy projects, and within the undergraduate curricular and extra-curricular programs, the KRVIA has engaged actively with the city and provided an important platform for debate and discussion. It has become an important centre for the production of knowledge on urbanity, especially in the Indian context.
• The institute has a very modern infrastructure in necessary for the college of architecture. It has very smooth administration for the convenience of the students.
• It has a huge central library with rich collection of books and periodicals in the field of architecture and other arts around the world. It also has literature, cinema, photography, history and philosophy.
• It has spacious studios and lecture spaces within the campus which provides a student to work on its project and complete it. The studios are equipped with Wi-Fi internet access, projection facilities and display boards to put up student work.
• The Computer Lab provides the student with a digital environment to handle Computer aided design, 3D modeling, simulation which are used toward architectural representation; Environmental analysis of the building; Building information modeling aids; Geographical information system aids.
• It also has a well equipped mechanical workshop to develop practical knowledge in the chosen field.
• The Institute has a dedicated Stationery Shop equipped with drawing, drafting, writing, model-making equipment and computer stationery.
• The liveliest point in the campus is the canteen of the institute where students pass their free time sitting with their groups and interact with each other.
• There are facilities for Basketball, Table Tennis, Carrom, Volleyball, and Badminton within the campus.
Kamla Raheja Vidyanidhi Institute for Architecture and Environmental Studies (KRVIA) Admissions
Eligibility for B. Arch: All the students aspiring to take admission needs to have passed the HSC (std. XII) or equivalent examination minimum 50% aggregate marks or Diploma in Engineering under 10+3 Scheme of the State Board of Technical Examinations and secured a minimum 50% aggregate marks in the Diploma Examination and the compulsory Common Entrance Test (Aptitude Test) conducted at national level.
Eligibility for M. Arch: Passed with minimum 50% marks in open category and 45% in case of backward class category in B.Arch examination from any recognized university and approved by COA.
Fees: Rs. 88000 – 90000/- approximately.
Kamla Raheja Vidyanidhi Institute for Architecture and Environmental Studies (KRVIA) Faculty
Designation - Director
Kamla Raheja Vidyanidhi Institute for Architecture and Environmental Studies (KRVIA) Placements
Data Not available. Coming Soon.
Kamla Raheja Vidyanidhi Institute for Architecture and Environmental Studies (KRVIA) Campus Photos
Kamla Raheja Vidyanidhi Institute for Architecture and Environmental Studies (KRVIA) News
Date : September 12, 2012
The KRVIA organizes workshops in various fields like theatre, writing, building technology, video pr ...
The kamla Raheja Lecture Series
Date : September 3, 2012
The KRVIA hosts an annual series of seminars, conferences and lectures on various issues concerning ...
Institute Location on Map