Maulana Azad Medical College complex is more than 30 acre campus. It is housing city's four landmark hospitals namely Lok Nayak Hospital, G B Pant, Guru Nanak Eye Centre and Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences. It is hard to believe that this was a previous jail complex with associated memories of several historical events including the Harding Bomb case and has a “ Phansi Ghar” memorial to commemorate the same.
It all started when Lord Irwin laid down the foundation stone of the hospital on 10 Jan 1930,then called the Irwin hospital. Initially this hospital had 350 beds, which was big enough to cater the small population of Delhi during that era.
Recognizing the need for a medical college in this area, the Govt. of India in it's second 5 year plan recommended the starting of a “Composite Medical College” in Aug 1957. The medical college was attached to the Irwin Hospital and named as “Delhi Medical College”. Col Bashi Lal Taneja was appointed as first Principal in April 1958. The college was housed in a new 3 storey block designated as Anatomy Building (present Burns and Plastics Surgery Ward). The College was aptly called as Maulana Azad Medical College and later the word memorial was dropped. Maulana Abul Kalam Azad was first Union Minister of education and scientific research of independent India.
A dental department existed in this medical college and was served by honorary dental surgeons Dr. P.P. Sawhney and Dr. P.K. Khurana (in late 1960s and early 70s). Later on Dr. P.P. Thukral joined Maulana Azad Medical College as first Reader (dentistry), and went on to be the First Associate Professor in dentistry. Was appointed as HOD of Dental Wing in Nov 1983 when the First BDS batch was started. He retired on 31st dec 1983 to be succeeded by Dr. A.N. Srivastava, an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon from 1st Jan 1984 till 1989. Dr. N.C. Sangal, another Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon (on deputation) was HOD from 1991 till 1995 and Dr. Mahesh Verma took over as HOD in 1995. The growth of our institution although progressive, occurred mainly in the last decade. Dental wing, Maulana Azad Medical College was started in 1983 as part of MAMC, with 20 students for BDS course
This was the first institution offering BDS course in the capital city of New Delhi, under Delhi University and remains to be the only one till date. Dental wing was treated as one of the departments of Maulana Azad Medical College and could not acquire the status of separate institute.
The dental wing was randomly scattered in the campus with facilities located in Lok Nayak Hospital from where the patients were referred to
other branches situated at odd floors of the B.L. Taneja block. Dr. Mahesh Verma headed the dept for 6 yrs before being declared Principal of Maulana Azad Dental College and hospital. In 2002 the Dental Wing was separated from Maulana Azad Medical College. It was granted independent status in 2003 as an autonomous body under the Government of NCT of Delhi and Dr. Mahesh Verma was appointed the Director – Principal. Ever since, the hard work and vision of the entire team under his leadership have put the institution on a progressive path. A nine-storeyed separate building for the dental college and hospital was conceived. A private architect was appointed and after much hard work, plans were prepared and proposed for Rs 14.31 crore. The foundation stone was laid on 27th May 2000 by Chief Minister Smt. Shiela Dikshit. The fast track project was completed way before other similar projects on the campus by constant efforts and supervision of the entire faculty. The dental faculty slowly rose in strength from 5 in 1997 to 55 in 2007.
Academic excellence got us to seek upgradation of BDS seats from 20 to 40. MDS courses were introduced under Delhi University in April, 2007. The institute has been declared as a "Center of Excellence" and is rapidly unfolding its various facets. Its growth shall be possible due to its assets - the faculty, students, staff, and infrastructure and huge patiants. We still have a long way to go!