Few places in India have such variegated spectrum of attractions as Vadodara. Envisaged by the late His Highness Sir Sayajirao Gaekwad III as a seat of learning for tourists it is also a city of gardens and palaces. The student community has its eye on its magnificent University and its constituent educational institutions. One such institution is The Medical College and S. S. G. Hospital Vadodara. The late Maharaja of Baroda Major General His Highness Sir Pratapsingh Gaekwad laid the foundation stone of this medical college in Jan 1946. Due to untiring efforts of DR. Jivraj Mehta the then Advisor to Government of India and Bombay State on Baroda matters, the ground floor was completed in 1949. Dr. M. D. D. Guilder, Health Minister of Bombay State, inaugurated it on 16th June 1949 and the first batch of 40 students started their career. For initial development, the institute was entrusted to Late D. A. N. Deodars - the first Dean and Medical Superintendent of S. S. G. Hospital. The first final M. B. B. S. examination was held in April 1954. The Medical Council of India and General Medical Council of Britain recognized the degree awarded. The illustrious ruler of Baroda Late Sir Sayajirao Gaekwad III initiated medical aid to the public of Baroda by starting a few bedded hospital - Dufferin hospital at Varasia in 1865. That hospital was later expanded to the present S. S. G. Hospital with capacity of 1500 indoor admissions.
As Baroda changed its status from lethargic and beautiful “Pensioners Paradise” to “Industrial City” with Gujarat Refinery and Gujarat State Fertilizer Company coming up, Medical College and S. S. G. Hospital Baroda, also showed changes in terms of input of students, addition of departments, increase in facilities and bed strength. Now the medical college houses the departments of Medicine, S. P. M, Microchemistry, Physiology, Anatomy, Pathology, Microbiology, Pharmacology, Forensic medicine, blood bank, genetic laboratory and ayurvedic research unit. Encircling the main college buildings there are separate buildings which house postmortem room, the physiotherapy college, departments of Surgery, Pediatrics, Orthopedic, Skin & V. D., Psychiatry and Obstetrics and Gynecology, radiology, radiotherapy and Urology.