Miranda House, residential college for women, is one of the premier Women's Institutions of Delhi University. It was founded in 1948 by the then Vice-Chancellor Sir Maurice Gwyer; its foundation stone was laid by Lady Edwina Mountbatten on March 7 in the same year. Located in the University campus, Miranda House is built in warm red brick with cool and spacious corridors. Its original design was by the renowned architect Walter George, the college shares an architectural affinity with other colonial educational institutions of the country. In the past five decades, as the college has grown, several other buildings have been added to its original design. It is now declared a heritage building and work is on to maintain its pristine glory.
Miranda offers liberal education in humanities and science to more than 2500 students. The faculty is renowned for their meritorious profile, versatile talent and dedication to the cause of education. The college has produced women who have excelled in various professions and have contributed in numerous ways to society at large.
The college has always maintained high academic standards. What is more important is the space it has provided to the students to freely express and develop views that help them respond to changes in society. Its proximity to other campus colleges enables students to participate in the academic and cultural events that take place around it.
The college hostel is amongst the oldest residential buildings of the University. The hostel has recently been renovated under the Heritage Building Project. The hostel section is laid out in a pleasing quadrangle, with gardens paced out by bottle palms. The design allows a spacious privacy within which residents can be as they like. The dining hall is one of the assets of the college with monastic tables and benches set inside a long hall. The stretch of ground curving around the hostel towards the cafeteria has been cleared away for a beautiful lawn and a rockery extending the special attractions of the Cafeteria, particularly on sunny winter days. It has also brought out the potential of the spacious verandah outside one of the classrooms as an elevated stage for cultural events.
• The institute is named so because it was initially a residence for the women and then it was formed into a college under the University of Delhi.
• It has a vast area with all the modern facilities and teaching aid. It has huge classrooms with comfortable sitting arrangements.
• The library of the institute has a vast collection of books and journals in the field of Science and technology and others.
• The college provides accommodation facility to the outstation girls who wish to join this college. It has a huge area sprawled with greenery which creates peaceful environment.
• Overall the college has all the required facilities such as canteen, laboratories, sports, cultural activities, and many more.
Miranda House Admissions
Miranda House Admission 2019-20:-
Miranda House Placements
The students of the institute are placed in various companies like
• Standard Chartered Bank
• Essar Group
• Jaypee Group
• IBM Daksh Business Process Services Pvt. Ltd.
• Indian Air Force
• Taj Hotels, Resorts and Palaces
• Kotak Mahindra Bank
• HCL Technologies
• DBS Bank Ltd.
• Wipro Technologies
• HP Ltd.
Miranda House Campus Photos
Institute Location on Map