The Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics (SINP) is an institute of basic scientific research located in Kolkata (Calcutta). The Institute was founded in 1950 by Professor Meghnad Saha as a part of University of Calcutta. At that time, it was called the "Institute of Nuclear Physics", with Professor Meghnad Saha the founding director. In the beginning, research was mainly directed towards Nuclear Physics, which was an emerging field at that time and also Biophysical Sciences. After Meghnad Saha's death in 1956, the Institute was renamed to commemmorate its founder.