St. Xavier's College, is named after St. Francis Xavier, a Jesuit saint of the 16th Century who travelled to India. The College was founded by the Society of Jesus, a Christian Religious Group started by St. Ignatius of Loyola in 1540. Since its inception, the Jesuits have toiled in the field of education, among other things, and were even called 'the school-masters of Europe' at one time. They are inspired by a vision of humanity drawn from the life, teachings and personality of Jesus Christ.
St. Xavier's College is a Catholic institution, which strives to form men and women, especially Christians and the marginalised, to build a more just and humane world. The intellectual endeavour it strives for, focuses on critical and creative thinking, with the aim of social transformation. This endeavour is inspired by the Values of the Gospel - from the New Testament of the Christian scriptures - while it appreciates and promotes all the other religions, especially the rich religious heritage of India.
The College makes a preferential option for the marginalised and it seeks to give an all-round formation, inculcating both human and spiritual values. St. Xavier's College is only a part of the vast educational efforts of the Jesuits in India and throughout the world. At present Jesuits run about 100 schools, 24 colleges, and innumerable non-formal and adult education centres in India, and all these form part of the effort of the Catholic Church to share in the vital task of education in our land.
On January 30, 1869, St. Xavier's College was affiliated to the University of Bombay. It is entrusted by the University with the task of preparing students for degrees in Arts, Science and Commerce.
The Society of Jesus exercises responsibility over St. Xavier's College through a Governing Body whose Chairman is the Provincial of the Bombay Province of the Society. It's Vice-Chairman is the Rector of the College, while its Secretary and Chief Executive is the Principal.
• One must have seen the college in various Bollywood movies; hence there is not much to describe about the college infrastructure.
• The interior of the institute is also well maintained with all the required amenities. It has library, computer lab, ground, hostel, etc.
• The library of the institute has a rich collection of books and periodicals. It has a collection of more than 1 lakh books. It has also subscribed to various journals and magazines.
• The campus of the institute is very lively and students of the college are very enthusiastic. Huge participation is seen from the students of the college in the inter-collegiate festivals.
• It has a spacious canteen offering different snacks and meals to the students at affordable prices. Students even work on their assignment sitting in the canteen.
• Xaviers College has a gymkhana with various indoor games for the students. It also has a basketball court in the premises.
• It also provides accommodation facility to the outstation students. It provides all the modern facilities to its students coming from various parts of the country.
St. Xaviers College - Mumbai Admissions
St. Xavier's College Mumbai Admission 2017-18:-
Admission Notice for First Year B.A., B.Sc. and B.Voc courses in Tourism & Software Development
St. Xaviers College - Mumbai Placements
It has a dedicated placement cell to trains its final year students in resume writing and interviews. It places its students in various multinational companies with good salary packages.
St. Xaviers College - Mumbai Campus Photos
St. Xaviers College - Mumbai News
Institute Location on Map