About Alabama A & M University
Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University reflects the uniqueness of the traditional land-grant institution which combines professional, vocational and liberal arts pursuits. The University provides baccalaureate and graduate studies that are compatible with the times to all qualified, capable individuals who are interested in further developing their technical, professional, and scholastic skills and competencies. It operates in the three-fold function of teaching, research, and public service, including extension. A center of substance and excellence, Alabama A&M University provides a setting for the emergence of scholars, leaders, thinkers, and other contributors to society. Specifically, the University is committed to:
1. Excellence in education and a scholarly environment in which inquiring and discriminating minds may be nourished.
2. The education of students for effective participation in local, state, regional, national, and international societies.
3. The search for new knowledge through research and its applications.
4. The provision of a comprehensive outreach program designed to meet the changing needs of the larger community.
5. Programs necessary to adequately address the major needs and problems of capable students who have experienced limited access to education.
6. Integration of state-of-the-art technology into all aspects of University functions.
Alabama A&M University, in cooperation with businesses, industrial and governmental agencies, and other institutions, provides a laboratory where theory is put into practice in a productive environment.