About Black Hills State University
Where you start has everything to do with what you can achieve.
Spectacular settings have a way of inspiring amazing opportunities, and when your surroundings have as much history, intrigue and majesty as the Black Hills of South Dakota …there’s no telling just how far your education will take you.
Founded in 1883, Black Hills State University is a four-year, public liberal arts institution. We take great pride in providing students, faculty and alumni with a world-class university experience. It’s a feeling you’ll notice as soon as you set foot on campus – and one you’re sure to carry with you to all the accomplishments and achievements waiting for you after graduation.
* ENROLLMENT: 4,004
* CAMPUS: 123 acres
* MASCOT: Yellow Jacket (Sting)
* SCHOOL COLORS: Green & Gold
* FACULTY WITH TERMINAL DEGREE: 77%
* HOUSING: 5 Residence Halls (3 Co-ed, 1 Male, 1 Female), 8-Building Apartment Complex
* ACADEMIC PROGRAMS: More than 80 majors and minors for bachelor’s degrees, 4 associate degree programs, 22 pre-professional programs and 3 master’s degrees
* STUDENT BODY: 81% from South Dakota, 19% from 36 other states and 5 countries
* FINANCIAL AID: 86% of BHSU students receive assistance
* AFFILIATION: 4-year South Dakota public liberal arts university
* ACCREDITATIONS: International Assembly of Collegiate Business Education, National Association of Schools of Music, National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education, Commission on Institutions of Higher Education of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, South Dakota Department of Education and Cultural Affairs, Wyoming Professional Teaching Standards Board