About California State University-Long Beach
California State University Long Beach is a diverse, student-centered, globally-engaged public university committed to providing highly-valued undergraduate and graduate educational opportunities through superior teaching, research, creative activity and service for the people of California and the world.
California State University Long Beach envisions changing lives by expanding educational opportunities, championing creativity, and preparing leaders for a changing world.
* Educational Opportunity
Our academic purpose is to graduate students with highly-valued degrees.
CSULB is committed to being an outstanding teaching-intensive, research-driven university that emphasizes student engagement, scholarly and creative achievement, civic participation, and global perspectives.
Teaching-Intensive, Research-Driven University
* CSULB students have many opportunities in their studies to gain a love of ideas; an appreciation of artistic expression, science, and technology; and an understanding of varied cultures.
* CSULB faculty members fully integrate the results of their research and creative activities into their teaching, invigorating and enhancing student learning.
* Students receive the advising and mentoring they need to realize their dreams because of the student-centered philosophy of CSULB's faculty and staff.
* CSULB faculty members are widely recognized for their outstanding teaching, research, and creative activities.
* The University has the highest average graduation rate and the lowest average time to graduation among the public master's-degree-granting universities in the West.
* The University continues to enhance the highly collegial climate that enables broad and deep collaboration in research, creative activities, and teaching.
* CSULB graduates have the necessary skills for successful careers in various fields and disciplines.
* CSULB is recognized for the rich diversity of its student body and the accomplishments of its students will demonstrate that it is both possible and essential to offer broad access to high quality education.
* CSULB is widely recognized for its high quality of services, activities and programs for students.
* CSULB has strong partnerships with faculty, staff, student and community groups so that we may serve as primary advocates to meet the needs of our diverse student population.
* CSULB embraces a culture of evidence that strives for continued quality improvement in our programs and services.
* CSULB invests in our human and technological resources so that we may optimally respond in a dynamic environment.
* CSULB makes a positive contribution to the greater society by developing responsible citizens, with highly valued degrees, for the 21st century.
* CSULB students graduate as skilled problem-solvers and practitioners of their disciplines through participation in research projects, creative endeavors, community service learning, and internships.
* "Beach pride" is pervasive not just among current faculty, staff, and students, but among graduates and friends of the campus, and most alumni will retain significant ties to campus programs, return to campus often, and support the campus financially.
* Other universities look to CSULB as the source of best practices in student engagement, instructional innovations, academic technologies, student services, and institutional effectiveness.
* Each CSULB student has the opportunity to enhance his or her educational experience through co-curricular activities that include student-to-student relationship-building in clubs, cultural activities sponsored by departments and colleges, and international programs and events.
* CSULB faculty receive adequate and appropriate recognition and reward for engaging in pedagogical practices such as community service learning that prepare students for responsible civic participation.
* CSULB is recognized as an "engaged campus," where students, faculty, and staff are actively involved in campus life and activities.