Consisting of the College of Liberal Arts, the Drew Theological School and the Caspersen School of Graduate Studies, Drew University has a total enrollment of 2,506 students. (1,608 in the College of Liberal Arts, 587 in the Caspersen School and 361 in the Theological School.) The Theological and Caspersen schools offer degrees at the M.A. and Ph.D. levels, while the College annually confers B.A. degrees in 29 different disciplines.
Located in the picturesque and friendly borough of Madison, New Jersey, Drew’s 186 acre, wooded campus is within walking distance of the Madison train station, which offers direct service to Midtown Manhattan’s New York Penn Station. The university is known for its small class sizes and personal attention to students. Ninety-four percent of Drew’s full-time faculty members hold terminal degrees in their areas of expertise, which makes high-quality mentorship the hallmark of a Drew education.
Drew, a distinguished small university notable for the quality of its academic programs, has three parts: the College of Liberal Arts (CLA), the Theological School, and the Caspersen School of Graduate Studies (CSGS). Altogether, they enroll 2,500 students and have 155 full-time faculty.
Drew University was established in 1867 as a seminary, the antecedent of today’s Drew Theological School. In 1928, a gift led to the addition of the College of Liberal Arts, which began as a small college for men, became co-educational during the 1940s, and grew significantly beginning in the 1960s. In the early 1980s, it was granted what is still only the third Phi Beta Kappa chapter in the state. With about 1,600 students and 120 full-time faculty members, the CLA is today the largest unit within the university. The Caspersen School of Graduate Studies, which is devoted to advanced study in the humanities, followed in 1955. Both its established humanities-based Ph.D. programs and its new degree programs in fields such as medical humanities are closely aligned to the curricula of the other two schools, from which it draws most of its faculty.
This distinctive cluster of schools – a classic liberal arts college, a humanities-centered graduate school, and a theology school with Methodist roots and ecumenical concerns – offers unusual opportunities to pursue knowledge across the conventional boundaries of the academy. The hallmarks of Drew’s approach to higher education include: clarity of commitment to the liberal arts and experiential learning in small classes, emphasis upon interdisciplinary studies, and the international character of the Theological School and the presence on Drew’s campus of students from throughout the world.
Innovation has thrived at Drew. The College of Liberal Arts, for example, has often been a trail blazer: In the 1960s it was among the first American colleges to adopt semester-long off-campus study programs blending traditional and experiential forms of learning. In the 1970s, Drew was a leader in integrating field work and internship programs with more traditional class work, introducing a first-year seminar program, and establishing a summer term that combined off-campus study with campus-based course work. In 1984, Drew became the first liberal arts college to provide computers to its students as part of their regular tuition and fees.