About Duquesne University
Duquesne University is a private, coeducational university located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Located in the uptown neighborhood known as the Bluff, our hilltop campus rests on 49 acres overlooking the city's downtown district and South Side neighborhood. Despite this urban setting, our quiet and secure campus of residence halls, academic buildings and recreation facilities is encompassed by green lawns and tree-lined walkways throughout.
At Duquesne, students learn with mind, heart and spirit. In keeping with our Catholic-Spiritan tradition, students receive a strong moral foundation for professional and personal development through intellectual and ethical inquiry, research and academic study, and service to others.
Duquesne University, the world’s only Spiritan university, is one of America’s leading Catholic universities, with a worldwide reputation of excellence in liberal and professional education. At its founding, Duquesne brought higher education to the children of struggling immigrant workers, and was one of the first universities to admit women and minorities.
* Wylie Avenue buildingDuquesne was founded on Oct. 1, 1878, by the Rev. Joseph Strub and the Congregation of the Holy Ghost (the Spiritans). They opened as the Pittsburgh Catholic College with 40 students and six faculty members. Students attended classes in rented space above a bakery on Wylie Avenue in downtown Pittsburgh.
* Duquesne expanded to its current campus on the Bluff and built the original “Old Main” building in 1885. This five-story red brick landmark was, for years, the highest point on the Pittsburgh skyline. It is still actively used as the administrative building on campus.
* On May 27, 1911, the name was changed to Duquesne University of the Holy Ghost.
* Rockwell Hall was constructed in the 1950’s to house the schools of business and law.
* Assumption Hall opened in 1950 as the first student dormitory.
* Towers residence hallBetween 1959 and 1980, the University redeveloped College Hall, the music school and the library, also building a new Student Union and Mellon Hall, along with four dormitories, including the 17-story, 1,200 student Towers residence hall.
* During the 1980’s the law school expansion was completed and construction began on the Palumbo Sports Center.
* Between 1988 - 2001, the University opened its first new schools in 50 years, including the Rangos School of Health Sciences and the Bayer School of Natural and Environmental Sciences, created new spaces for classrooms, offices and residential halls, as well as parking garages, and the Art Rooney Football Field.