About East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania
East Stroudsburg University is one of the fourteen institutions in the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education. Founded in 1893 as a Normal School to prepare teachers. The institution changed its name in 1927 to East Stroudsburg State Teachers College and again in 1960 to East Stroudsburg State College, reflecting the addition of liberal arts and science curriculums. In 1983, the school achieved university status.
The 61 campus buildings are located on 213 acres in the East Stroudsburg community. In addition to the academic facilities, nine residence halls, housing for 2,200 students, and a 1,000-seat dining hall are located on campus. The Student Activity Association, Inc., owns Stony Acres, a 119-acre off-campus student recreation area near Marshalls Creek, Pa, that includes a lodge and a small lake.
The primary academic building on campus is Stroud Hall. This four-story classroom building contains lecture halls, computer and language laboratories, instructional spaces and office areas. Beers Lecture Hall, which opened in 1997, seats 140 students and serves as a distance learning facility. The Fine and Performing Arts Center consists of two theatres, a gallery, concert hall, rehearsal areas, various art studios, and classrooms. Koehler Fieldhouse serves as the primary physical education facility. The University Center includes a food court, commuter lounge, convenience store, game room and the University Store
Other major classroom buildings are: Moore Biology building which contains a large group lecture hall, a greenhouse and wildlife museum; Gessner Science Hall which contains laboratories for physics and chemistry; DeNike Center for Human Services which houses classrooms and has laboratory areas for the departments of health, nursing, and recreation, and leisure services management; LaRue Hall, which houses laboratories for speech pathology and audiology; and Rosenkrans Hall which houses offices and media communication and technology and programs for academic support; Center for Hospitality Management including HRTM, Keystone Room and P&J's.
Kemp Library provides students with opportunities to acquire, process and apply information in pursuit of their academic and career goals. Library faculty and staff offer a wide variety of traditional and innovative services. While the library continues building and sharing our print collections, we also provide digital e-books and electronic course reserves. We license a wide variety of full-text databases, most of which are accessible both on and off campus. We also provide interlibrary loan and document delivery services to supplement our holdings.
Kemp Library is also a depository of Federal and State (Pennsylvania) documents and includes an Instructional Materials/Educational Resources collection of textbooks, courses of study, children's and young adult literature and other materials in support of our teacher education programs. Assistive technology is available in the library to make our resources fully accessible to differently abled students.
As we take full advantage of new products, new formats for information, and new delivery systems, the instructional role of the library has never been more pronounced. The most effective approach to a research project changes from year to year, or even semester to semester. To keep current, we invite students and faculty to take full advantage of our reference services, to participate in group instruction offered by our public services librarians, and to check the library web site www.esu.edu/library to see what changes we have made.