About Immaculata University
Immaculata University is a Catholic, comprehensive, coeducational institution of higher education sponsored by the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Its programs, rooted in academic rigor, ethical integrity and Christian core values, encourage a commitment to lifelong learning and professional excellence. With belief in the dignity and potential of all men and women, Immaculata integrates students into a community of service and empowers them to assume meaningful roles in a diverse and changing world. Contributing to the development of the whole person of any faith, Immaculata affirms liberal education as an integrative process in the formation of a truly educated person who is value-oriented and committed to truth, service, justice, and peace.
Immaculata University is a Catholic, comprehensive, coeducational institution serving men and women of all ages through the College of Undergraduate Studies, the College of LifeLong Learning, and the College of Graduate Studies. Founded originally as Villa Maria College, the institution was granted a college charter in 1920, making it the first Catholic College for women in the Philadelphia area. In 1929, the name was formally changed to Immaculata College to accommodate government regulations for the naming of the post office.
The faculty consists of approximately 100 full-time faculty augmented by a part time adjunct faculty – sisters, priests, and laypersons. These educators continue a tradition of educational excellence sustained within an environment of concern for and interest in each individual student, a spirit fostered by the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. The genuine personal concern shown each student in an atmosphere of respect, vitality, and warmth is one of the distinctive characteristics of Immaculata. Immaculata has been recognized as outstanding among peer institutions for the active role of faculty in counseling and guidance.
Immaculata’s origins date from 1906 when the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, purchased the present site in Chester County. Ground was broken for Villa Maria Hall in 1908, and two years later, the massive stone walls were complete. The growth of Immaculata University over the past seven-and-one-half decades has been gradual, yet consistent. The initial 198 campus acres have grown to approximately 373, while the two original dormitory-classroom structures are now part of a complex of thirteen principal buildings, representing a multi-million dollar investment. Off-campus sites and on-line courses extend the geographic range and scope of the university.
Within the framework of a private Catholic academic institution, all students receive education and preparation for positions of leadership and responsibility in their adult and professional lives. In September 1969, the college introduced an evening division program of continuing education for both men and women in order to serve local community needs. In recognition of the growing number of non-traditional-age women, a continuing education office was opened in 1974 to provide special services for this population. Three years later, in September 1977, the college initiated a master’s degree program in Bicultural/Bilingual Studies in cooperation with Marywood College. In July 1983, three graduate programs were inaugurated, seeking to address the need for graduate education among adult students interested in part-time or full-time study in psychology, nutrition education, and educational leadership and administration.