About Indiana University-Northwest
Indiana University Northwest (IU Northwest) is a regional university campus in the Indiana University system located in Gary, Indiana.
Whether you're just finishing high school or thinking about college to advance your career, Indiana University Northwest offers you the opportunity to earn a prestigious IU degree that is respected throughout Indiana, the nation, and the world.
* As part of the Indiana University system, IU Northwest provides all the services and opportunities of a large university combined with the advantages and atmosphere of a small college.
* Small class sizes promote personal attention and individualized learning. Our faculty-student ratio of 1 to 14 means you'll get to know your professors.
* We're more affordable with manageable payment plans and financial aid
* We're close to home and easily accessible. If you live or work in Northwest Indiana or just across the border in Illinois, we're easy to get to by major highways.
* Academic and career support services to help you succeed in the classroom and beyond.
* We bring college to you with off-campus instructional sites in Portage and at the Academic Learning Center.
* Choose from a wide array of programs including certificates and associate, bachelor's, and master's degrees.
* Convenient courses offered days, evenings, and weekends.
* You can attend full time or part time—whatever works best with your life and goals.
* Highly qualified and experienced faculty members teach at IU Northwest, with 160 full-time and 200 part-time faculty. More than 83 percent have doctorates or the highest degree available in their field.
* An alumni network of more than 22,000 are making important professional contributions in fields ranging from business and law to heath care and education.
IU Northwest History
Established in Gary, Indiana, in 1963, IU Northwest is located on a 36-acre campus in the northwest corner of the state. We are a focal point for our students and the region offering nationally recognized degree programs, a diverse student body, a supportive environment, and unique cultural opportunities.
In the fall of 2008, 4,794 students were enrolled at IU Northwest. Our students are:
* 87% undergraduates and 13% graduate students
* 57% full-time students and 43% part-time students
* 70% women and 30% men
* 99% residents of Northwest Indiana
* 22% African-American, 58% Caucasian and 13% Hispanic students