About Marshall University
Named after John Marshall, the great Chief Justice of the United States, Marshall Academy was established in 1837. Marshall became a university in 1961 and has since grown tremendously, particularly in the 1990's which saw the construction of the state-of-the-art Drinko Library, Jomie Jazz Center and the addition of the Graduate College.
Marshall University is a coeducational public research university in Huntington, West Virginia, founded in 1837 as a private subscription school by several residents of Guyandotte and the surrounding area, on the site once known as Maple Grove (now part of Huntington, but then the home of the Mount Hebron Church).
On March 30, 1838, the institution was formally dedicated by the Virginia General Assembly as Marshall Academy; however, the majority of its offerings remained below the college level. In 1858, the Virginia General Assembly changed the name to Marshall College. The Civil War closed the often financially-challenged school for much of the 1860s.
On June 20, 1863, Cabell County, Virginia, was one of the 50 counties to leave Virginia at the height of the American Civil War and the college fell under the jurisdiction of the new state of West Virginia. In 1867, the West Virginia Legislature resurrected the institution as a teacher training facility and renamed it State Normal School of Marshall College. With the exception of the landmark Old Main building, expansion of the facilities and the college itself did not begin until 1907, when the Board of Regents of West Virginia changed the title of the head from "principal" to "president" and allowed the creation of new college-level departments.
The West Virginia Board of Education authorized Marshall College to offer the master's degree in six programs (chemistry, education, history, political science, psychology, and sociology) in 1938, as the institution underwent another expansion, which accelerated after World War II.
On March 1, 1961, Marshall College became Marshall University as the West Virginia Legislature approved university status for the institution and the legislation was signed by governor W. W. Barron. In 1997, it merged with the University of West Virginia College of Graduate Studies (COGS), with the latter being renamed Marshall University Graduate College.