About Northwest University
Northwest University was founded by the Northwest Ministry Network of the Assemblies of God and opened to students on October 1, 1934. It is a regionally accredited, Christian coeducational institution awarding associate, baccalaureate, and master’s degrees. The University is operated under the control of the Alaska, Montana, Oregon, Northwest, Southern Idaho, and Wyoming districts of the Assemblies of God. All these districts are represented on the University’s Board of Directors.
The campus is a semi-wooded tract of fifty-six acres overlooking Lake Washington and the city of Seattle. A view of the snow-clad Olympics graces the skyline to the west.
Members of the Northwest University community desire the equality of opportunity and respect that results from true Christian community where unity is cherished in diversity and mutual support is practiced as evidence of God’s presence, by His Holy Spirit, in the people that make up the community.
The mission of Northwest University is to provide, in a distinctly evangelical Christian environment, quality education to prepare students for service and leadership.
Northwest University finds its crowning joy in thousands of alumni serving in nearly every profession around the world. They are people showing Christ’s love through hands of compassion.
Northwest University was founded by the Northwest Ministry Network of the Assemblies of God and opened to students on October 1, 1934. The District Presbytery appointed Dr. Henry H. Ness to be the first president. The University was housed in the facilities of Hollywood Temple, Seattle, Washington, for the first twenty-five years of its existence.
Dr. C.E. Butterfield succeeded Dr. Ness in 1949, and Dr. D.V. Hurst assumed the presidency in 1966 and served through 1990. He was succeeded by Dennis A. Davis, who served from 1990 - 1998, and by Dr. Don Argue, who served from 1998 - 2007. Dr. Joseph Castleberry is the sixth president of Northwest University.
Originally known as Northwest Bible Institute, its institutional name was changed to Northwest Bible College in 1949, Northwest College of the Assemblies of God in 1962, and to Northwest University in 2005. Each change represented a stage in its curricular development.
Academically the University progressed from a three- to a four-year curriculum in 1948, and in 1955, a Liberal Arts division was organized. Milestones of academic development and progress were marked by the achievement of professional accreditation by the American Association of Bible Colleges in 1953, and in 1973 by the granting of regional accreditation by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities .
In May, 1992, Northwest University became the eighty-fifth college approved for membership in the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities, an association of Christ-centered colleges and universities of the liberal arts and sciences.
In 1958, the University secured a new thirty-five acre campus in Kirkland, in the greater metropolitan area of Seattle. Since then 21 more acres have been added to make the present fifty-six acre campus. Located at 108th Avenue N.E. and N.E. 53rd Street just ten miles from downtown Seattle, the campus is an ideal setting for study, recreation, and inspiration. The campus is also near to industry and close-at-hand employment opportunities.
Over the years, the University’s graduates and former students have engaged in full-time Christian service in professional, business, or vocational occupations in fulfillment of their educational objectives at the University.