About Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Worthington Scranton
We are .. a "Big Ten" internationally renowned university close to home, offering baccalaureate and associate degrees and certificate programs taught by Penn State faculty.
We are ... a teaching/learning/research institution for undergraduate education and for lifelong learning.
We are... a small campus with a big degree.
We are... a partner in educational collaborations to improve the quality of life for our community through contract training, enrichment programs and service projects.
We are ... committed to the highest quality in teaching, research and scholarship, and service to our campus, our students, our communities, and our proessions.
We are ... Penn State.
* 1923 – Pennsylvania State College (not yet a university) established a branch school in the city of Scranton – offering evening technical institute programs
* 1951 – the school was renamed The Scranton Center and began offering day and evening courses
* 1953 – courses were redesigned as associate degree programs
* 1968 – moved to its current location in Dunmore and was named Penn State Worthington Scranton
(also began offering the first two years of PSU bachelor’s degree programs)
* 1995 – offered the first campus baccalaureate degree program
History of Penn State & the Worthington Scranton Campus
The Pennsylvania State University was chartered in 1855 as the Farmer’s High School. A pioneer institution designed to provide higher education for all qualified students, it admitted its first students in 1859 and graduated its first class in 1861. Renamed the Agricultural College of Pennsylvania in 1862, it became the land grant college of the Commonwealth in 1863. The name was changed again in 1874 to the Pennsylvania State College, and in 1953 to The Pennsylvania State University. The Worthington Scranton campus is named in memory of Worthington Scranton (1876–1955), a prominent industrialist and civic leader of northeastern Pennsylvania. The campus, one of twenty- three Penn State facilities throughout the Commonwealth, is located on a forty-five-acre tract of land just off Exit 188 (Throop) of Interstate 81.
The campus began in 1951 as part of the General Extension division of the Pennsylvania State College. Its first home was the Longfellow School Annex at 1625 Wyoming Ave in Scranton, Pennsylvania, which it occupied until June 1968. With money raised through contributions from private citizens and local industries, the Advisory Board of the Scranton Campus purchased the present site in 1962. The campus opened in September 1968 as a member of Penn State’s Commonwealth Campus System . On July 1, 1997,Worthington Scranton joined 11 other Penn State locations as a campus of the University’s Commonwealth College.