Get information on UPSC IES Electrical Engineering Syllabus 2017. ECE.
IES Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering Syllabus is an important part of the UPSC IES exam conducted every year. The syllabus divided into two papers covers both objective and conventional type papers. While paper one of the syllabus deals with materials components, theories and measurement and instrumentations part two deals with analogue signals, digital communications system and computing. Given below is IES exam for Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering syllabus.
PAPER - I
1. Materials and Components Structure and properties of Electrical Engineering materials; Conductors, Semiconductors and Insulators, magnetic, Ferroelectric, Piezoelectric, Ceramic, Optical and Super-conducting materials. Passive components and characteristics Resistors, Capacitors and Inductors; Ferrities, Quartz crystal Ceramic resonators, Electromagnetic an Electromechanical components.
2. Physical Electronics, Electron Devices and ICs Electrons and holes in semiconductors, Carrier Statistics, Mechanism of current flow in a semiconductor, Hall effect; Junction theory; Different types of diodes and their characteristics; Bipolar Junction transistor; Field effect transistors; Power switching devices like SCRs, CTOs, power MOSFETs; Basics of ICs - bipolar, MOS and CMOS types; basic of Opto Electronics.
3. Signals and Systems Classification of signals and systems: System modeling in terms of differential and difference equations; State variable representation; Fourier series; Fourier representation; Fourier series; Fourier transforms and their application to system analysis; Laplace trans-forms and their application to system analysis; Convolution and superposition integrals and their applications; Z-transforms and their applications to the analysis and characterization of discrete time systems; Random signals and probability, Correlation functions; Spectral density; Response of linear system to random inputs.
4. Network theory - Network analysis techniques; Network theorems, transient response, steady state sinusoidal response; Network graphs and their applications in net- work analysis; Tellegen’s theorem. Two port networks; Z, Y, h and transmission parameters. Combination of two ports, analysis of common two ports. Network functions: parts of net- work functions, obtaining a network function from a given part. Transmission criteria: delay and rise time, Elmore’s and other definitions effect of cascading. Elements of network synthesis.
5. Electromagnetic Theory - Analysis of electrostatic and magne-tostatic fields; Laplace’s and Piossons’s equations; Boundary value problems and their solutions; Maxwell’s equations; application to wave propagation in bounded and un- bounded media; Transmission lines : basic theory, standing waves, matching applications, misconstrue lines; Basics of wave guides and resonators; Elements of antenna theory.
6. Electronic Measurements and instrumentation - Basic concepts, standards and error analysis; Measurements of basic electrical quantities and parameters; Electronic measuring instruments and their principles of working: analog and digital, comparison, characteristics, application. Transducers; Electronic measurements of non electrical quantities like temperature, pressure, humidity etc; basics of telemetry for industrial use
UPSC IAS Exam